Monday 16 September 2013



THE TRANSITION FROM THE TRADITIONAL (CANDLE) TADOBA TO SOLAR EXCITES WOMEN IN ISANGO

Women in Isango Sub County are excited about the new technology of using solar energy for lighting houses. This is as a result of a project supported by WWF whose aim is toaccelerate the access to modern clean energy services for local communities in Kasese district, the main target being the local men and women who still use the traditional tadoba because they have not yet accessed the rural electricity and also low income earners.

The solar light is given through groups especially the Village savings and loans associations and the Water User groups who have started the YahuraYehuza strategy. They get the solar product on a loan where they pay 50% before taking the product and 50% is paid in instalment for four months. There is no guarantee for the loan like other financial institutions do and so even the lowest woman can easily access the products as one woman Ms Karungi Sarah said “some of my family members could not believe that this solar was mine until I showed them the receipt. This is because I cannot afford a solar if it is not a loan…I can also light my house at night and no longer use a tadoba which brings smoke in my house and the light is so bright. However, am scared of thieves that they might steal my product at night”
Another woman Ms Sumba said thus “I have a senior four son who would light my paraffin throughout the night reading and so I would buy paraffin for 1000 shillings every day for us and him to use. So in a week I would spend 7000 shillings on paraffin. And on charging our 2 phones we would use 600 shillings every three days which totals to 1200 shillings a week. Now I can save 8200= in our SACCO and it will help me to clear my loan and also continue to save…”This is indeed a mega saving for a rural low income earner and it can improve people’s lives for the better.
Many people used to take using the traditional candle known as tadoba to be the cheapest way of energy in Uganda but it has turned to be one of the most expensive models because of the daily expenses on paraffin. Here is solar energy which one buys once and it’s the sun to charge the solar for light and is easily accessible.
The community are happy with KALI and WWF for this initiative of bringing such services nearer to them.
Compiled by
Masika scovia
KALI






No comments:

Post a Comment